'Tell a Tale' short story competition
Tell a Tale this October! We're running a creative writing and illustration competition for young people aged 7 to 15 years, inspired by the works of Quentin Blake.
We opened our doors recently with the much anticipated exhibition, Quentin Blake and John Yeoman: 50 years of Children’s Books (on until 6 December), and now we're setting young budding writers and illustrators the task to get creative and write their own short story - and there are some fabulous prizes to be won!
PRIZES FOR THE WINNING ENTRIES
- Two tickets to visit the Quentin Blake & John Yeoman exhibition at The Base.
- The winning stories and drawings will exhibited in the Runway Gallery for all visitors to The Base to see and read.
- They will also be printed in the Newbury Weekly News...
- and read by local author Toni Kent on our Facebook and Instagram pages!
HOW TO ENTER
Your short story can be on any theme you like, but it must be no longer than 500 words long. As with the wonderful partnership between illustrator Quentin Blake and author John Yeoman, we'd love to see a drawing to go alongside your story - this might be of the main character or the place in which your tale is set, it's up to you!
Entrants will be split in to two age groups (7 to 11 years and 12 to 15 years) with one winner chosen from each group.
Please email your entries to email@example.com with the child's name and age by 5pm on Sunday 1 November.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Deadline for submissions is Sunday 1 November 2020 at 5pm and winners will be notified by 5pm on Friday 6 November. 2. Winners will receive two free tickets to visit the Quentin Blake & John Yeoman; 50 Years of Children’s Books exhibition at The Base Greenham, on until Sunday 6 December. 3. Entries must not exceed 500 words and should include at least one picture/drawing. 4. If posting your entry, please do keep a copy as they cannot be returned. 5. One winner will be selected from the 7 – 11 age group and one from the 12 – 15 age group. Entrants must be aged between 7 to 15 years old on Sunday 1 November 2020. 6. The winning entries will have their names and ages published on the Corn Exchange and The Base’s websites and their respective social media platforms, as well as in the Newbury Weekly News and in the Runway Gallery at The Base. 7. The parents or guardians must consent to a photograph being taken of the winners to be used by Newbury Weekly News and The Base Greenham for publicity purposes, including on their respective websites and on social media. 8. No family of current employees are eligible to enter the competition.