Volunteer with us!
Do you enjoy talking to people? Do you have a passion to learn more about the visual arts? We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic and engaging people to steward at The Base!
The role of gallery steward offers the opportunity to work in a gallery environment and help to create a friendly and welcoming experience for our visitors, whilst enjoying the fantastic exhibitions we have on display.
In this role, you will welcome visitors to the gallery and engage with them about our exhibitions. Checking in visitors who have pre-booked tickets is an important part of this role, along with helping to keep the gallery tidy and ready for visitors. You will build up a knowledge of the artwork on display to enable you to answer visitor’s questions or requests for further information.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, here is brief overview of what being a steward in our gallery entails;
- Welcome visitors to the gallery
- Enhance visitor experience of the gallery and venue with knowledge of the current exhibition and familiarity with wider activities at The Base
- Assist with checking visitors in to their pre-booked timed slot
- Help manage the flow of visitors to ensure an enjoyable visitor experience
- Encourage and assist visitors with accessing other activities onsite or orientation of the venue.
- Assist visitors with knowledge of the local area and broader activities of the The Base and the Corn Exchange
Steward shifts will be during the gallery’s opening hours. Typically, this is Wednesday to Sunday from 10am -5pm. Shifts can be approximately 2 hours, but we are flexible to accommodate the needs of our volunteers. There may be opportunities to help with other events held at The Base, such as our annual Festival of Arts & Crafts.
If you are interested in the visual arts and keen to volunteer in a creative environment, please call 01635 582666 or email email@example.com for more information and an application pack.
We look forward to hearing from you!